Re: [DMCForum] Re: HEY RICH, rotary engines

Re: [DMCForum] Re: HEY RICH, rotary engines

Martin,
The intercooler is facing horizontally, somewhat inside the right rear
pontoon between the "side air scoop" and an oil cooler.  On the bottom of
the oil cooler is a fan pulling air down.  That fan just cooked though, I
just bought a nicer looking 12" to replace it.  The intercooler does what
it should, I imagine.  I haven't measured any pre/post intercooler intake
temperatures...

It is in a rather bizarre location, but I ran out of room to put stuff so
that's where it went.  here are some pix that I just found that I made
for the last person that asked...

http://www.eliseusa.com/images/delorean/dsc00466.jpg
http://www.eliseusa.com/images/delorean/dsc00467.jpg
http://www.eliseusa.com/images/delorean/dsc00469.jpg

But if you look at nothing else, look at these pictures so that I will
feel better about how horrifically dirty the car was in Walt's pics.
http://www.eliseusa.com/images/delorean/enginebay.jpg
http://www.eliseusa.com/images/delorean/enginebay2.jpg

RICH, rotaries SUCK SUCK SUCK with mileage (in general).  Mazda releases
numbers like 15 city/23 highway for the 20b.  Although I don't do any
highway driving at all, i still don't think I've seen either of those
numbers...

The new RX8 engine (RENESIS) is much prettier with emissions, but economy
is still not great.

I just checked online, the first 2 places i found said that the PRV
weighs 375lbs.  All I know is that it broke my 300lb scale when I tried
to weigh it.  This was with all the peripherals and intake stripped off.

Like Martin said, transmission would only be good if I wanted to make it
front wheel drive.  I still have the transmission that came with the 20b.
 4 speed automatic, enormous and HEAVY.  Do you want it??  I cant seem to
get rid of it.

all the rx7s were autos or 5 speeds.  There were rx3's and rx4's, they
had 12a rotary engines, don't know about the transmissions.

The rotaries do have timing, but only for ignition.  For this, there is a
device that looks and fits like a distributor but is really hall-effect
pickups.

Don't know if I'll be at pigeon forge.  Ken has been working on me about
it, but realistically I don't see it happening.  That's 1800
miles round trip from here; that's more miles than I put on the car in 6
months otherwise.

I'd probably pay $1000 in gas and have to stop for it 200 times.  ha ha a
little rotary joke for you

The 3rd gen 13b is heavier than the others, having two turbos and a ton
of ducting.  I'd put it at more like 3/4 of the weight.  Still so, I
think you are right that it would be quick.  I've seen 3rd gen 13bs
swapped over to single turbos and doing well more hp than a stock 20b.
It's hard for the single turbo 13b to manage more torque though, as
increased torque is the main function of the sequential twin.  Exhaust
gasses flow to only one turbo at low RPM so it will spool faster, making
boost and higher HP numbers at lower RPMs.

Jim

To visit your group on the web, go to: