Re: [DMCForum] Re: HEY RICH, rotary engines

Re: [DMCForum] Re: HEY RICH, rotary engines

Not really ignoring you (or no more than usual for that matter); i
thought I'd get some numbers from someone who would really know- he's
been working with rotary engines for 20-something years.

He said a run of the mill 13b weighs about 250lbs for a complete
functioning engine.  I would have said the same- 250 to 270 lbs because
two people can move one around pretty easily.

He said the 20b weighs 340lbs.  If you add in the weight of the oil
cooler/ intercooler, etc, it's closer to 380-400 lbs.  I think the PRV
weighs in at around 400lbs.  I recently found that the complete northstar
weighs 470lbs with all the stuff on it.

13b's have come turbocharged and non turbocharged.  I believe the first
13b was in the first generation RX7 in 1985.  It was 135hp.  It went up
to 160hp by 1989 in the 2nd generation rx7, turbocharged 2nd generation
versions had 200hp.  The 3rd generation rx7's had another iteration of
the 13b, this time sequential twin turbo and 255hp for all 3rd gens
(93-95).

13b's are pretty easy to get i think- still in a car.  The 2nd generation
cars are really cheap now though.  3rd gen cars have held their value
pretty well.

I was actually looking for a 3rd gen 13b engine (complete with harness,
computer, etc) when i found that the 20b was more
attainable in that condition (believe it or not).  It was more expensive
though.

My transmission is the g50 from a 1995 porsche 911 c2 (993).  Kennedy
engineering (kennedyeng.com) made me an adaptor from the 20b to the
porsche transaxle, and saved me a huge headache.  It really did just bolt
right up.  I also got a flywheel, pressure plate, and starter from them.
It was an arm and a leg though- the stock porsche starter costs $600 new!

You are right that the pictures on ebay are not very good unless you know
what you are looking at.
my website is at http://www.eliseusa.com/rotary.htm .

Jim