Re: [DMCForum] [OT] need to read check engine codes

Re: [DMCForum] [OT] need to read check engine codes

The exact year could be 1995 or 1996 depending on the model, but yeah, the
jumper bit only works on pre-OBD II cars. You put a jumper in from TEN to
GND and turn the ignition on and read the flashes. Doesn't work with OBD II.

Here is a relatively inexpensive OBD II reader if you have a laptop or can
haul a PC to your garage:
http://www.ghg.net/dharrison/obdscan.html

Or, many AutoZones will read the code for no charge. Not all do this, so
check with your local AutoZone. Once the code is read you may have to check
a factory service manual to get the meaning of the code. AutoZone's book
only has the real basic codes in it.

A very common problem on some makes that will cause a fault on OBD II
systems is to under tighten the gas cap. If your cap is the "clicker" type,
then make sure you tighten it so that it clicks 3 or more times. Mazda
Miatas are particularly bad with this one.

Mark N
VIN 6820