Re: [DMCForum] HEY JOHN, rotary engines

Hi John.

I've either been ignoring you or been busy.

There were only like 5000 20b's ever made, making them more rare than
Deloreans.  Still so, they're still available here and there; there are a
few for sale right now on EBAY, even.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2455615635&
category=33615

This one is $4k.  If you know the right people, you can get them for
cheaper, like $3k or less.  The "safety margin" on the 20b is much wider
than on the turbocharged 13b's, a stock 20b TT running 300hp, and the 13b
TT running 255hp.  A guy I know has a 500hp normally aspirated 20b in his
racecar.  It's upgraded up to wazoo though.  Still so, turbo and even
stock twin turbo 20b's can reasonably make 500-700hp with new seals,
porting, and computer.  Want one? :)

Regardless, this HP level is rather inappropriate for the Delorean.  I'm
still stock at 300hp, and I think it's already as much as the car can
handle without substantial suspension and braking upgrades.... YOU KNOW
THIS BETTER THAN ANYONE!!!  More weight with a big V8 can only make this
situation worse, in my opinion.

The 13b is good for 350hp with a single turbo and a lot of little
upgrades.  I'm sure there are examples with more, but the more you
stretch it's ability, the easier it is to cook the engine if something
fails.

Jim