[DMCForum] Re: Interesting problem with battery.

[DMCForum] Re: Interesting problem with battery.

Hello.

You probably short circuited your battery hooking it up, without
question, that is, connected the positive terminal to the negative
terminal, either directly, or through some wiring.  It's time to take
your battery out, and look for trouble.  There is probably exposed
wiring somewhere else that made the shortcircuit.  This is what you
should look for.  I'd examine the main battery cables closely for
places where it could accidentally touch something metal, looking for
worn insulation and scorching.  You're lucky nothing caught fire.

Another possibility is you hooked up your battery backwards, but you
wouldn't do that, right?

Chances are the reason the car ran after you reconnected the battery
has to do with accidentally moving the trouble spot around so it
wasn't making contact anymore.  At any time, you could move it back,
and the trouble can return.  I would not be content that the problem
fixed itself, I'd hunt it down.  I'd have my fire extinguisher
there.  A short circuited battery puts out a lot of power.

Rick Gendreau

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Enid/Jeremiah
<hispanicangeleyes@xxxx> wrote:
> Ok everyone.  Here is one that's not quite as crazy as my last
couple of posts.

> Until I buy a battery kill switch, I have been taking the time to
dettach the postitive lead to my battery every time I turn off my
DeLorean.  Well, last I used it was 2 days ago, and for Christmas as
a unique present I wanted to give my Mom a ride in it since she had
never ridden in a DeLorean yet.  Well, I went to hook the battery up -
first connecting the positive lead, then the negative.  Using a
socket wrench, I went to start turning the battery bolt on the
negative side, and sparks flew all over.  I don't mean one or two - I
mean yellow, orange, red sparks went flying everywhere.  To say the
least, I was spooked, but I went on and attached the cables
securely.  Went to turn the car on, *click* - no start.  You could
hear the car turning over, but no vroom vroom.  Went and tightened
even more - *click* nothing.  Did this about 5 more times to no avail.

> To say the least, I was irritated and went back into the house in
defeat.  My fiance as she konked out to sleep suggested I undo both
cables and try it again.  Of course, I didn't want to, and I
sarcastically told her that was futile.  However, I swallowed my
pride and volunteered to try one more time stating "I'm not expecting
any miracles".  Went out and decided for fun to switch the battery
bolts.  I connected the negative first, then the positive.  I noticed
that the bolt for the positive side seemed stripped, because I would
get it snug and secure, and then it would just keep turning.  I had
no trouble unwinding the bolt out, but it never seemed to stop
turning when I would try to tighten it.  Anyhoo, I turned it until I
felt it was nice and snug, and sat in the driver's seat saying to
myself sarcastically "Whatever..." and cranked the key. VVRROOOOOOM! -
to life my car came...To say the simplest, I let my lady know she
was right (something some of you might want to just get
>  used to right now ;) )
>
> My question - what the heck happened?  Did I just not ever tighten
it down right the last SEVEN attempts?  Did I just not get a good
connection?  Was my battery on its last leg?  Can someone give me a
tip to two to keep from establishing a channel so I don't see those
sparks again..?  Would the battery kill switch save me this
aggravation?

> I was very happy to see my car behave, but I don't want to go
through that again.

  _____

Yahoo! Groups Links

*	To visit your group on the web, go to:

*	To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: