[DMCForum] ATTN: Andrei

No "I told you so's"...

(Note: PRV application follows at end of post)

Don't know how old you are, but I am old enough to remember what
Detroit (and Kenosha!) went through in the 1970's:

Decade began with engines that trace lineage really into 1950's. They
represented pinnacle of that technology's development. Then US
government suddenly began tightening emissions standards. Immediate
response was to drop compression across the board. All 4 manufacturers
did it simultaneously (within 18 months). This was the first step in
forcing otherwise perfected engines into being something they were
never designed to be.

Every year, as emissions standards were raised, companies contorted
and perverted their engines. Specified ignition time *WAS* advanced.
Carburetors switched from square bore to spread bore (smaller primary
plates) and were jetted ever leaner. EGR forced engine to breathe its
own exhaust. Smog pumps were introduced to force air into exhaust
stream. Some of the most Rube Goldberg vacuum systems you've ever
imagined were created. Note commonality among these:
- Were basically "bolt on" fixes, not a real change to engine design
- Every single one lowered engine performance
- Again, did not significantly alter engine designs that were already
1-2 decades old

What Detroit really needed to do is what they finally did in the late
1980's/early 1990's -- introduce engines that were 100% new design
from crank up and use onboard electronics to control systems that were
previously mechanical (fuel delivery & ignition) -- bet you never
thought you'd hear me say that! (Unfortunately Kenosha didn't make it
that far).

So what does this have to do with PRV's?

History of PRV mirrors above. Is a 1960's engine. Original design did
not include any of its "bolt on" fixes I have been recently piloried
about:
- No CIS
- No Lamda Sond
- No EGR (doesn't apply to DeLorean)
- No vapor recovery system

Again -- notice that engine itself did not change until Volvo
redesigned in 1988.

THAT is why I maintain a PRV can be returned to its original state (as
I have done with my domestic blocks).

I am honest to goodness curious about your test results. Please post
to Forum (am away from eMail until Sunday). This isn't a "he said/he
said" issue -- I really think you can come up with some hard data that
*SOME* owners will find useful (surely I am not the *ONLY* person who
wants to return to basics).

Andrei the scientist...

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Andrei Cular" <acular@xxxx> wrote:
> Well have many failed attempts 2767 completed a 10 mile trip with no
> problems requiring me to pull off the road. As far as I know the first
> complete drive in 12 years.
>
>  However it appears to have developed an oil leak somewhere on the front
> (flywheel end) of the engine.  From the top the valve covers area
dry and
> clean and the heads are dry.  Which makes me think the main seal is
almost
> gone, it doesn't leak at idle or fast idle.
>
> And this test was conducted with the lambda system disabled, and
idle motor
> removed.  According to Dave's engine analyzer it is running slightly
rich
> and has a CO of about 8%, I remember reading somewhere it should be
under
> 5%.  My next step is to hook up the Gtech and get some base line
numbers,
> then reinstall and tune the lambda and idle system and get some
numbers to
> compair.  It's not a dyno run but any significant change will show up.
>
> So now look out for a big I told you so from Bill...
>

> Andrei

  _____

Yahoo! Groups Links

*	To visit your group on the web, go to:

*	To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: