[DMCForum] Re: Rich's a/c refurbish

Rich, below is that recycled e-mail I told you about
discussing what it takes to rebuild an a/c system.  Ignore
the labor charge at the end.  :-)  I should have new hoses
w/recycled fittings already made up by the time you get
here.  I would like to know first, however, if you have an
early VIN Delorean that does not use a high-pressure cut out
switch.  I would not want to trade the later VIN style for
an early VIN style.  While at Amazon, I'll see if I can have
them convert the early style into the later.

Walt
-------------------
If I fixed your system, I would have to use the shot-gun
approach because I
have no way of knowing what is in your system until it is
flushed empty and
we are starting new.

Besides flushing the system ($60 max worth of flushing
fluid) we should

replace the low pressure cycling switch $21,

replace the orifice tube $1.50 or $27 for the VOV upgrade,

replace all the o-rings $5,

consider replacing all the rubber hoses $190.  This involves
cutting the
hoses off one day and bringing the fittings down to Amazon
Hose & Rubber and
having them attach them to new hoses.  There is most likely
a 1 day
turn-around time.  Once we thread the hoses through the
frame then the car
needs to be driven to Amazon for them to cut the remaining
hose to length
and attach the rest of the fittings at the compressor.  It
isn't fun driving
without a/c.

replace accumulator $65 for early VIN and $38 for mid or
later VIN or if
replacing hoses anyway then convert to cheaper later VIN
(much easier to
install)

Replace refrigerant oil $30 which gives enough extra to wash
out compressor.

Then you need new refrigerant.  If staying with R-12 you
need 2.2 lbs @ $50
per pound.  Or if converting to R-134a then you need about 2
lbs.  It comes
in 12 oz cans for about $3 to $4 per can, and you need about
3 cans.  And
also if converting then you need the conversion fittings
which should run
around $5.

Once we get the system apart and inspect the screen on the
orifice tube then
we can better determine if the compressor is going bad (as
would be
evidenced by seeing metal pieces on the screen).  Then we
would need a new
compressor $260 from a vendor.

Add to this labor for the better part of one day of driving
around town
sourcing the parts and the better part of another day
installing all the
stuff and you have a good working a/c system.  I would also
need another
person (you) to be at the other end of what I'm flushing.
Otherwise it is
pretty much a one-person job.

I needed to total all this up anyway for Jim.  Without the
hoses or new
compressor there are $261 in parts and probably $400 to 600
in labor.

Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c8vsjqe/M=243273.4156324.5364586.1261774/D=egro
upweb/S=1705126215:HM/EXP=1070490676/A=1750744/R=0/*http://servedby.advert
ising.com/click/site=552006/bnum=1070404276537742> Click to learn more...

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=243273.4156324.5364586.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1750744/rand=217916913>