[DMCForum] Re: "Non-Critical" Stainless Hardware

[DMCForum] Re: "Non-Critical" Stainless Hardware

Actually stainless is about same strength as Grade 5. Issue is bad
reaction with aluminum. Some people are very concerned about
comingling. Engine is of course 99% aluminum. Is also 99% 7mm (just
try finding 7mm stainless fasteners). Air filter housing bolts no
problem because they should be removed at least every 10,000 miles to
change element.

Biggest advantage of stainless fasteners will rarely be seen: under
car. Too many to list individually: basically everything from radiator
screen to rear fascia studs can be replaced with full compliment of
6x1 and 8x1.25 nuts and bolts (and washers). Total *RETAIL* cost: $30
or so (why didn't DMC use them from the factory?).

Mike C is strung out on the stuff, eh? Makes Christmas shopping for
him real easy.

Don't forget to send your snail mail address for rear lenses
(brobertson(at)carolina.net).

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Eric Itzel <eric@xxxx> wrote:
>
> I also have to add I'm impressed with
> Mike's cosmetic bolt replacement habit- change every non-critical bolt
> in the engine bay with a stainless bolt and it makes it all look much
> better!

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cbnlfsf/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egro
upweb/S=1705126215:HM/EXP=1070476720/A=1524963/R=0/*http://hits.411web.com
/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674?=egroupweb&pos=HM>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=663235448>