[DMCForum] Re: Delorean 5096

Sam,

When I bought my car, it didn't run at all and was partially
dismantled. She was hung up wet for sure. Shortly after I did have it
running, I blew the head gaskets and tore it all down again.

I knew the car needed a lot of work. I bought it like that because
everyone one of these cars brought back to life is a victory that
extends the lifespan of the population.

Mike Cohee has been trying to get me to bring my car to a show and
have people like Rob Grady "inspect" my car and tell me what it needs.

He means well and so does Walt. So does nearly everyone on the list,
but the last thing you need is 30 people telling you what a P.O.S.
your car is.

Like me, you KNOW the thing needs work. You're doing the right thing.
You're in the "triage" phase. Evaluate and prioritize, (usually by
necessity of the part and by affordability) It's very daunting for
someone to present you with a mile-long list of broken items on your
car. Mentally, it's just easier to face the music when you evaluate
it for yourself.

Just conduct your own assessment and take your time. I too, was
impatient to get on the road. After 10 months of work I had nothing
to show for it until I finally drove it around the block for the
first time.

The moral? Don't let the "experts" dampen your enthusiasm (but listen
to their experience) and take the time to fix it right. There's two
ways to fix that car. Right, and twice. Twice takes longer.

Uh..I'm not trying to sound like the wise, old sage on the mountain
top, but there's one last thing: When you do drive it regularly, more
and more crap will break at first. In the Navy, we call it
a "shakedown" cruise. You gotta shake it up and see what breaks.
Eventually, you'll nail all the bugs and it will be as reliable as
any other car.

"If you fire an infinite number of shots at an infinite number of
monkeys, you'll eventually kill Shakespear."

We're all rooting for you,

Rich A.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Samuel <samuel_yahoo@xxxx> wrote:
> Actually, the fans arent wired up. The wires are dangling :)
>
> At least I only had to drive it 2 blocks. Walter overwhelmed me
with
> things wrong right before dinner so I didnt feel too hungry. But
after
> dinner and after I started arranging things and figuring out how
big
> things are, it became alot better and easier to manage. Came in and
ate
> after everyone left.
>
> Samuel
>
> cruznmd wrote:
>
> >That's cool.
> >
> >At least it drove. If the fan fail is just a cover, how are your
fans
> >operating? You obviously don't have fanzilla. Fused jumpers?
> >

> >--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Samuel <samuel_yahoo@xxxx> wrote:
> >

> >>Walt wasnt being sarcastic, however we looked over what we could
> >>

> >last
> >

> >>night. The nest had been there but the inhabitants were long
gone.

> >>know there is nothing blocking the exhaust due to driving it from
> >>

> >where
> >

> >>we picked it up to the house. Walt wants to make it look good but
> >>

> >that
> >

> >>does me no  good if I cant take the car a long distance to work
on

> >it to
> >

> >>make it look good and run well.
> >>
> >>As for the smell, most of it went away after cleaning up the
> >>

> >compartment
> >

> >>behind the driver seat. I did have a scare though. Looked into
the

> >relay
> >

> >>compartment and spotted a blue "relay" where the fan-fail goes.
We

> >were
> >

> >>surprised how long it lasted. It was then noticed that it was
just

> >a cover.
> >

> >>Samuel

> >in