Re: [DMCForum] SS heatshields?

> Ken Koncelik was telling me to get rid of my stainless
heatshield.

That depends on what alloy the stainless it is made of.  If
it is regular 304 like the rest of the car then it would
make a lousy heat shield.  But if it is made of V4A like
Samuel mentioned, then you have one very nice heat shield.
The outfit selling the SS heat shields is
http://www.delorean-steel-products.com/

> Walt has the sandwhich version and
it is working so far.

Yep.  The heat shield I have was mailed to me from Spain by
DeLorean Steel Products.  I am e-mail penpals with Dirk who
is one of the guys there responsible for their line of
DeLorean parts.  (Okay, that was name dropping.  Now for
some bragging :-)  I even wrote some of the text they used
on their web page describing the heat shield, and the photo
of one leaning against a wheel is a photo I took while
installing it on my car.  The heat shield extension was my
idea when I noticed that the lower a/c pulley bearing gets
too hot.  Okay, so now everything I say is tainted, right?
Well, we're just good friends, and I'm not in cahoots with
them.

Anyway, being an extremist, I bought the sandwich version.
What you get is two heat shields with some spacers to go
between them.  When I tried to install this on my car, I
couldn't make it fit without removing the muffler.  So I
just installed one layer and drove the car for a while like
this.  Soon afterwards I had a problem with my fuel system
causing the catalytic converter to glow.  So while I had the
exhaust system apart to take the cat off, I installed both
layers with the spacers between.  I am not happy with the
result.  When the shield gets hot, the layer closer to the
muffler expands and the middle flexes out and touches the
muffler.  It's not a big deal.  I can't say yet if this is
just a fit problem unique to my car or if the spacers are
too thick.  I'd guess they are about 6-7mm.  They could be
thinner.  I'm sure that Andrei Cular could come up with a
formula for the optimum air space.  But really, the double
layer is overkill.  At my earliest convenience I'm going to
use one of the layers on another car.

It would be a terrible shame for someone to replace one of
these with an asbestos fiber one.  Byrne Henninger had some
fiber ones for sale at the last SEDOC show.  There were
warning stickers on them saying they contain asbestos!  Is
it still legal to sell stuff like that?  PJ Grady sells one
that looks substantially similar to Byrne's & OEM, but I
think I heard someone say that it doesn't have asbestos.  I
know that the PJ Grady one is very brittle.  So when you
install it, you have to be sure that it stays absolutely
flat while you bolt it down.

Someone needs to bring one of those IR temperature gauge
guns to Pigeon Forge where we can see who's shield works
best.  But hopefully by then I'll have a different kind of
engine in mine.  Martin?  How's Darren coming along?

Walt

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autore
dir?camp=556&lineid=3614674?=egroupweb&pos=HM>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=985727914>