Re: [DMCForum] Come on over, John.

Walt,

Actually, yeast produces nitrogen when it ferments, but only a small
amount. The rest of the nitrogen comes from a different source: air.

Inserting nitrogen into beer is done to mimic the effect of how it's
traditionally dispensed in Europe: they use beer engines to literally
"pull" the beer into the glass. Beer engine = a device used to draw the
beer up from the cellar. In use since the 18th century. Air pumps into
the cask to push the beer into the pipes and upstairs. Some places use
electric pumps these days, so the older ones are sometimes called
"manual beer engines". (Not to be confused with a manual beer
transmission, I suppose. *grin*)

In the U.S. most places use carbon dioxide instead of a pump, leading to
way too much foam among other things, but which makes the beer faster to
dispense.

In order to get the European effect those who bother have to simulate
the beer engine process somehow. When they do that, the gas used to
displace most beer is generally 70% nitrogen 30% carbon dioxide (i.e.
close to normal "air" like that used in the beer engines), although some
places use a stronger nitrogen mix. The usage of nitrogen instead of
just carbon dioxide elminates the bloated, gassy feeling one gets after
drinking a pint or twelve of the CO2-laden stuff, and improves the taste.

Some places use air compressors to draw nitrogen from the air. I doubt
anyone in the U.S. will install an old beer engine just for the taste,
especially considering it will lengthen the amount of time it takes to
get the stuff out.

Damn. Now I'm thirsty. Time for Warsteiner Dunkel.

Farrar

Walter Coe wrote:
> Farrar, you are the first guy I have ever heard complain that beer is
too
> cold.  I can enjoy a dark beer at room temperature when others would gag
on
> it.  But my preference is to have it at least chilled.
>
> I thought that it was carbon dioxide that is in beer.  You mean it's
> supposed to be nitrogen instead?  I thought that CO2 was a natural
byproduct
> of the fermentation.
>
> Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1595055/R=0/SIG=124j83ehr/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenat
togyo?YH=3707890&yhad=1595055> Click Here!

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1595055/rand=915071964>