[DMCForum] Re: Ignition system failure

Upon further reflection w/John Hervey, the pulse coil is probably not
bad based on the fact that the RPM relay works as it should and it
gets the pulses from that coil.

I'll be performing the following checks:

Pulse coil resistance check (just in case): 600-700 ohms.
Main coil resistance check: 1.5-ish ohms.
Voltage when cranking from the blue yellow wire: 8-12 volts.

Apparently voltage in the "run" position isn't from the exact same
source as when in the "cranking" position. When cranking, voltage to
power the coil via the ballast resistor (and the firewall relay) is
routed through the starter solenoid.

Let's see if I have this right:

Thanks to the relay, when cranking 12v comes in on the blue/yellow
wire, from the starter solenoid, through to 1/2 of the ballast
resistor and out, riding the white/yellow wire to the coil.

When in "run", the relay opens and 12v comes into the ballast
resistor on the white wire, passing through both resistors and out on
the white/yellow wire to the coil.

I'm probably earning the same year of experience over and over again
here...;-)

Well I'm outtie like a belly button. Wish me luck.

Rich

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.4074964.5287182.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1732161/R=0/SIG=11p5b9ris/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=
30509&media=atkins> click here