[DMCForum] Re: Starting all over...

Are you saying problem limited to 5th gear? (Reads as if floored in
5th). That's when my predetonation showed up -- lugging in 5th -- and
you remember can of worms that discussion opened... Is probably too
much to expect 6000 RPM in 5th, but you should be able to pass 4000.

How does car behave gears 1-4?

Ensure centrifugal advance working. That's what picks up slack when
vacuum drops (wide open throttle).

*ENSURE* no spark advance at idle. In early ownership tried attaching
mine to what I thought was ported vacuum (have no cut off solenoid,
nor a microswitch to drive one. PO just left diaphragm loose). In fact
was full manifold vacuum, albeit through extremely small orifice.
Totally killed performance -- 10-13 degrees at idle was actually under
full advance. During acceleration ignition time surely jumped AFTER TDC.

Do a compression test. My experience has been PRV can lose cylinders
with little noticeable effect on engine behavior (doesn't stumble.
Will rock & roll quite a bit more if you lose whole bank). Yet I still
passed traffic on 3 cylinders after SEDOC. You'd think CO2
measurements would pick up dead cylinders (smell horribly rich)... Is
block temperature COOLER than normal?

Ensure all plug wires in fact intact. My #1 is home made replacement
for fatigue cracked wire (less than one year old!), probably during
intake manifold work before I re-routed wiring harness. First time
Louie drove my car was as PRV-5.

Ensure no injectors dribbling liquid fuel. Think Walt Coe has had
problems with this.

Check for exhaust obstruction. How much pressure do you feel from
muffler tips? Is system glowing at all?

Try running without A/C belt -- compressor or idler pulley bearings
may be DOA and putting up resistance. Drop alternator belt and check
for free movement of it and water pump.

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> All right. It turns out I'm NOT going to Las Vegas to attend a
> wedding this weekend. This give me a little extra free time.
>
> Here's the issue I want to work on:
>
> I am STILL missing too much horsepower. I have a shallow acceleration
> curve. I can get the car beyond 4000 RPMS but it takes quite a while.
> I realize that 5th gear is NOT for passing but on relatively shallow
> grades, I can barely maintain speed by flooring it.
> I have driven Mike Cohee's car so I know this isn't my imagination.
>
> I have:
>
> 1. All new fuel components.
> 2. All new ignition components.
> 3. Eliminated all the vacuum leaks I could find.
> 4. Verified the timing & that ignition advance functions correctly.
> 5. Set the CO screw to match Mike's setting (and the manual)
> 6. Verified vacuum hose routing IAW the diagram in the engine cover.
>
> I am missing a functional WOT microswitch but this is not the sole
> cause of my problem. I intend to get into the evap canister area to
> check for more vacuum leaks.
>
> Your suggestions are welcome. Thanks,
>
> Rich

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.4074964.5287182.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512