Re: [DMCForum] nice possibility for engine conversion

Re: [DMCForum] nice possibility for engine conversion

The "benefit" of the Delorean having the engine in the rear is that there
is more vertical space in the rear of the D than in the front of a lot of
cars, especially low, sporty cars like the corvette.   I'm certain the
viper v-10 wouldn't fit in the back of the D, but the ls1 might...  The
top of the engine bay is narrow because of the engine cover latch, etc,
but slightly lower yields another few inches of space.  a flatter engine
can sit lower in the bay giving it more room.  Still so, don't stuff in a
bigger engine if it will "physically fit".  You also have to consider the
placement of the transaxle output in relationship to the wheels.  The G50
has a significant sized bell housing (length).  A larger engine in the
rear will push the transaxle forward, misaligning the transmission and
the wheels.  In the stock D, the transmission was almost directly lined
up, but I think the transaxle was slightly forward of the wheels.  A
larger engine/transmission will make this worse, and will cause increased
wear and friction of the CV and CV boots.

If you're thinking ls1 anyways, you might as well go for the z-05, z-06
engine.

Jim

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:56:42 -0000 "John Dore" <dmcjohn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:
> http://jason.kitcarmagazine.com/Current_Progress/Engine/LS1-
> Transmission.asp
>
> COrvette engine with G50 (I think). Would this fit in our cars, or
> is
> the corvette engine bulkier than regular chevy V-8's?
>
> John

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Yahoo! Autos. Everything you need to know about buying or selling a car.
FREE Quotes, 360° Tours, Research,
Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kEZsdA/bwnGAA/YiGOAA/HliolB/TM