[DMCForum] Re: air conditioning related overheating

[DMCForum] Re: air conditioning related overheating

Yahoo ate my original reply! (Rich, you're not the only one having
problems...)

Suspect problem is cooling fans themselves, without or without A/C
engaged. Condensor is HOT, way hotter than radiator, but not enough to
push gauge into red zone on otherwise intact system.

Fan problem can be masked by air forced over radiator while moving.

Start at otterstat and move forward:
- Ensure fuse 5 good
- Jump otterstat
- Ensure whatever's in fan relay socket has closed
- Check for voltage through circuit breaker
- Ensure whatever's in fan fail socket is routing to each fan (circuit
splits here)
- Check for voltage at fans themselves
- Check for good grounds after fans

If fans spin like this but you're losing on the road check for:
- Bad otterstat
- Right side up otterstat (traps air)
- Connections vibrating loose

Ensure ALL cooling system hoses are fresh. Are too many DeLo's running
around with questionable ones. Don't overlook hoses and O rings under
intake manifold.

If you don't have self bleeder under thermostat housing, highly
recommend installing one. Ensure bleeders intact in heater core supply
line and radiator return line.

Is very bad to overheat an aluminum engine, especially one with as
many seals as ours.

About as bad as detonating fuel up I-85...

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Andrew <aos+yahoo@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi group.  I've recently developed a sporadic overheating problem.
It may
> have been around longer, but since it appears to be related to the only
> recently fixed air conditioning, it's only recently popped up.
>
> Most of the time, I'm just fine.  If the AC is off, my temperature
gauge
> is solid on the first line above the bottom and does not fluctuate
at all.
> If I turn on the AC, it'll move up above that line just a little,
but no
> more than I would expect with the additional load and heat dissipation.
>
> But every now and then, particularly if I've been sitting still,
I'll look
> down and find the gauge has creeped up into the red zone.  Here's the
> funny part, though.  If I turn off the AC, the gauge will drop back to
> normal within seconds.  If I turn the AC back on at that point, I'm
> usually fine again, although after a while (and a few more stops),
it may
> start to creep up again.
>
> This car has persistent low voltage at idle problems, but I don't think
> bad enough to cause enough slowdown of the cooling fans to cause
this kind
> of a problem.  I am fairly certain the cooling fans are running when
they
> should be, although since this problem only pops up when the AC is
> running, I can't easily hear them.  I have checked the breaker to make
> sure it's the upgraded 40 A.
>
> I'm going to be replacing my steering rack this weekend, and will check
> all the usual suspects for cooling problems... thermostat,
otterstat, air
> in the system, etc., but I'd like to know if anyone has any specific
> ideas, given the apparent relationship to my air conditioning (which is
> filled with R134a, FWIW).
>
> As a side note, #4115 just rolled over 50,000 miles the other day.  It
> actually went over 50K at least a couple of thousand miles ago,
because I
> know the angle drive was broken for its trip here from California,
and who
> knows how much more of its former life, but we'll pretend those miles
> don't exist.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -andrew
>  Houston TX