Tried a layer of bearing grease where they contact but it didn't help.

Isn't titanium just a heat resistant coating on ordinary HSS bits?

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> I agree, the problem isn't in the threads. I sliced the ends of the
> lug nuts off with a dremel to expose the lug. I sprayed PB Blaster in
> there...no change. The problem is galvanic welding at the cone, or
> something to do with overheating....
>
> At any rate, I saw cobalt bits with the Ti at the hardware store but
> not being a metallurgist, I thought the shiny gold Ti bit would work
> better than the ordinary, silver-looking cobalt bit. I will pick one
> up and try it.
>
> I've used heat and hammered away at these things with no luck.
>
> Basically, my plan with respect to the two "intact" lug nuts is to
> drill out the center of the lugs as wide as I can, and pound a
> smaller socket on there and -snap- the lugs & nuts off.
>
> The one that sheared off....I'm just drilling it out the hard way.
>

> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx>
> wrote:
> > Heat and oil work on rust. If problem is in threads that should do
> it
> > (hit it with MAPP gas from the back side and capillary oil from the
> > front). But really suspect you're dealing with electrolysis in taper
> > where nut meets wheel -- don't know effect of heat on that.
> >
> > Remember to slow dill down. High RPM's will dull a big bit faster
> than
> > anything. And use a lot of cutting oil.
> >
> > Could be situation where hammering works better than torque. Kind of
> > like crankshaft pulley nut -- longest cheater in the world won't
> budge
> > but a few raps with impact wrench spins right off. Is yours rounding
> > off nut? If so, try forcing slightly undersize socket onto it (isn't
> > graded steel -- that's why it snapped) and just beat away. Bound to
> be
> > more fun than watching a drill bit spin all afternoon.
> >
> > Bill Robertson
> >
> > >--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> > > Dood,
> > >
> > > The stud is exposed. When I looked at the half that stuck in the
> > > socket, I saw the shiny shell and the harder internal piece.
> Trust me.
> > >
> > > I spent yesterday drilling. I bought a $10.00 titanium drill bit.
> > > This thing sucks. It won't break but it's not sharp either. It
> took
> > > me all day to drill away most of ONE stud and I still haven't
> gone
> > > far enough to free even that one.
> > >
> > > This blows goats and if anyone has a faster idea I'm listening....
> > >
> > > Rich

> likely to
> > > me that
> > > smaller

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autore
dir?camp=556&lineid=3614674?=egroupweb&pos=HM>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=707817579>