conversation on other side.

Except I'm 39 with ear rings and spiked hair...

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Marc Levy <malevy_nj@xxxx> wrote:
> This is your opinion..  I would guess some of us don't
> share it?
>
> "modern" engines get better fuel economy, more power
> per lliter and are much more reliable.  If you
> understand how the computers work, they are MUCH
> eeasierto work on.   This of course is all MY opinion.
>
> It is unfortunate that even the mechanics who work at
> the dealerships have no clue as to how to
> pproperlydiagnose problems on modern engines, and in
> turn many people form nnegativeopinions of the modern
> systems.. "if it just had a damn ccarburetor I could
> mess with the adjustments to make it run right!"...
> *WRONG*
>
> Example:  A ffriendwith a 1999 Cougar has her CE light
> on.  She brings it in, they pull the codes from the
> computer.  (P0171 and P0174, for those who care.) The
> codes translate to "Lean O2 sensor bank 1" and "Lean
> O2 sensor bank 2".  So, the moron mmechanicssay "Oh,
> you need to replace the O2 sensors!".  I would venture
> to say that most mechanics would come up with the same
> "fix" for these codes...  But that is because they
> don't think!  I told her not to waste the $400+ they
> wanted to replace the O2 sensors, and let me look at
> the car.  Turns out there was a vacuum leak in the
> hose that went to the brake booster causing a lean run
> condition.
>
> The computer does not tell you what parts to replace,
> only what fault turned the CE light on!  A good
> mechanic has to still diagnose!
>
> If we compare this example to a older engine without
> all the computer gizmoes, it would just continue to
> run lean and have a vacuum leak.... who would even
> know until a piston melted due to the long-term lean
> run condition.
>

> --- content22207 <brobertson@xxxx> wrote:
> > I totally do not understand. Why would anyone want a
> > "modern" engine.
> > Hasn't auto industry been in sad decline for past 25
> > years?
> >
> > Don't confuse mere forward progression of time with
> > actual progress...

> http://shopping.yahoo.com

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autore
dir?camp=556&lineid=3614674?=egroupweb&pos=HM>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=699084759>