Re: [DMCForum] Torsion bar jig REASON

Yep Paul, I dealt with the same problem on a friend's car.  Apparently the
passenger side torsion bar had cracked where the hex/allen key goes in the
end.  The more torque applied to the allen key, the more the torsion bar
would spread open locking it into the plate.

What aggravated this is that the previous mechanic didn't seat the bar all
the way forward which caused the square end of the bar to deform (twist)
because it wasn't all the way in the hinge.  That bar was so over-torqued
that the door would stay open about 1/3 of the way with no strut.  I
remember reading someone's procedure for finding proper torque, and they
said it was to have the door stay open no more than 4 inches off the door
sill.  I disagree.  This is way too much.  I say that if the torsion bar
raises the door off the sill any then that is too much and your strut
isn't
strong enough.

We finally removed the plate by prying it off with big flat crowbars.  It
was kind of scary because one wrong move could break the rear window.
Once
we got the bar out, the spline end was twisted and cone shaped.  Twisted
because it was way over-torqued and cone shaped because the end had
fractured.  The cracks seemed to spiral around the end so it made them
really hard to recognize as cracks.

With the bar out of the car, we tried putting the retaining plate back on,
but the spline area was now too fat for it to fit.  I got some small files
and spent about an hour cleaning up the splines.  Then using a hammer I
was
able to tap the retaining plate on short distances at a time until I made
it
fit like new.  It looked like it was going to work until we put torque on
the bar.  The hex key spread the end of the bar open fat enough that the
retaining plate wouldn't fit.  We could never get a good look at the
cracks,
but obviously they were there.  There was just no practical way to reuse
that bar.  BTW, the proper allen size is 3/8 inch.  If you mistakenly used
the next larger metric size AND the end was fractured, this could stop the
end from compressing enough to get the plate off.

So okay, I'll eat my words about the jig idea being no good.  Using one
would give you more room to fit prybars under the retaining plate.  Want a
copy?

Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3897168.5135684.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1706996/R=0/SIG=11p5b9ris/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=