[DMCForum] Re: Torsion bar jig REASON

Hi Paul.

I generally don't offer speculative advice, that is, advice to try
something I haven't actually already done, but I figure if you're
contemplating deliberately breaking your torsion bar, you must be
pretty desperate.

If my torsion bar were as stuck in the plate as yours seems to be, I
would:

Loosen the plate bolts about 1mm, and pry out the plate the same 1mm,
and shim the plate away from the underbody.  If I had hardened bolts
of the correct size kicking around, I'd install them one at a time
instead of the stock bolts.

With the bolts loosened about 1mm, I'd hit the torsion bar with a
hammer and a punch, something about the diameter of the torsion bar
head, axially, at the the head.  Hopefully, this would move the
torsion bar in 1 mm.  If it did, I would lubricate the torsion bar
with penetrating oil, then remove the shims from behind the plate,
and retighten the plate bolts, to pull the oil into the joint.  I
would do this bit with the door open to lower the torsion, and
supported by a person, who has been made aware that when I hit the
thing, that the door might suddenly become heavier, should the
torsion bar break.

I would repeat the process with progressive larger gaps behind the
plate, until it became likely the the torsion bar plate could be
detached from the torsion bar normally, or until the plate looked too
prone to rotating into something, at which point I'd abort.

I know you're a clever and resourceful guy, I remember the pictures
of how you raised your underbody off your frame, I thought that was
cool, so maybe there are reasons you see why this proposed procedure
wouldn't work.

Anyway, good luck.

Rick.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Paul Salsbury <paul.salsbury@xxxx>
wrote:
> I have adjusted a torsion bar before, in fact I have
> replaced one as my drivers side snapped!!! so I know
> what I'm doing and the dangers involved. I removed the
> louvres to do this job.
>
> The reason I wanted to build the jig, was that I was
> hoping it would help me with my Passenger side issue.
>
> I can not get the splined plate/bracket off of the bar
> to adjust it, and thought the jig would help in the
> process as there would be a little more support for
> the tools.
>
> I'm seriously considering deliberately snapping the
> bar and replacing it completely, too many passengers
> have lumps on their heads from a droopy door.....
>
> Paul
>
> www.dmc12.tk
>
>  --- Walter Coe <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> ---------------------------------
> I have a copy of the torsion bar jig.  Give me a snail
> mail address and I'll
> send you a photo copy of it.  I don't have it in
> electronic form.  Basically
> this is just a wooden jig that allows adjustment of
> the torsion bar without
> removing the rear louvers.  The only advantage to
> using it is that you don't
> have to remove the rear louvers.  There are a few
> disadvantages:
>
> You need a really long-ass extension for your ratchet.
>
> You probably shouldn't be adjusting the torsion bars
> unless you first know
> that the sub-T-panel has not come unglued.  It bothers
> me when I see guys
> adjusting torsion bars at shows while it is obvious
> that the sub-panel is
> loose and causing problems such as raising the T-panel
> causing it to catch
> and bend against the louvers (and then of course
> cracking the louvers too).
> A loose sub-panel will also allow the torsion bars to
> move closer to the
> hinges where it will rub on them.
>
> Personally, I never plan to build one of these jigs or
> even use one if I had
> it.  Removing the louvers isn't a big deal especially
> if you use a swivel
> extension on your ratchet to reach the hinges.
>
> Walt
>

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor  ADVERTISEMENT

> Terms of Service.

__
> Want to chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the FREE
Yahoo!
> Messenger http://mail.messenger.yahoo.co.uk

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3897168.5135684.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1706996/R=0/SIG=11p5b9ris/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=