[DMCForum] Solenoid repair and questions abound

[DMCForum] Solenoid repair and questions abound

Ok. To fix the solenoid, I hammered a piece of copper pipe flat and
drilled
it out to match the original. It worked. However, it did not solve the
problem I was having. After a brainstorm, I tested the solenoid. I put
positive on one terminal and negative to the body of the starter. It
fired.

That settled it. I did not have ground on the starter. So, I cleaned the
mounting bracket and the starter and put it back it. I have crank!

Now, here's the fun part. I cranked it over until the oil pressure light
switched off. Pressure is relatively low, but the light remains off during
cranking. This, however, flooded the engine.

I got it to almost turn over one time but that was as close as I got. I
had
it jumpered to my truck for extra cranking and that helped with the
battery,
but it was still sluggish. Timing is still on because it was never out of
time during the repair.

What were the quick fixes to start a cold engine like that? I remember
Martin had a few shortcuts.

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1693353/R=0/SIG=11t71ok4g/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=6
0178294&partid=3170658> click here