RE: [DMCForum] Re: Rich's mixture, advance, etc

RE: [DMCForum] Re: Rich's mixture, advance, etc

>In fact that's how I time a couple of my engines by ear
>(don't ask me: Ford harmonic balancers are keyed so you'd think
>there's only one way timing scale could fit on engine, but 2 --
>perhaps 3, verdict still out on one -- have timing mark nowhere in
>sight off plug #1). I move distributor clockwise until valves just
>start to clatter under hard acceleration, then back off. Probably puts
>me closer to TDC than spec.

Ah yes, I used to do this as well, called 'power timing'.  We would begin
with the distributor a bit retarded and leave it barely loose enough to
turn
then accelerate hard from a dead stop, advance the distributor a bit, and
keep doing this over and over until we found the sweet spot.  Granted this
is only seat-of-the-pants adjustment, but it seems to have made a lot of
difference in many cars.  One of mine had a sweet spot that was one
degree.
Either side of that was a noticeable drop in power.  I would imagine this
would be much harder to do in the De Lorean.

Greg

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3760361.5018013.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1712983/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?pa
ge=1374-105951838331032> click here