[DMCForum] Re: Next topic: Wheel bearings

[DMCForum] Re: Next topic: Wheel bearings

Hm. Very interesting. Thanks!

My wheels have no shimmy. They are nice and tight so I guess I'll
leave them be. I can tell when they're going out. There (should) be
vibration and the ability to wiggle the wheel on the spindle when
parked, yes?

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jan van de Wouw <delorean@xxxx> wrote:
> On 19-08-2003 19:57, cruznmd wrote:
>
> > The front wheel bearings don't look like what
> > I was expecting. (I was browsing the DMCH website).
> > These look like sealed bearings or something.
> >
> > Can they be re-packed or not?
>
> In my experience; not broken? Don't touch...
>
> I had the "luck" of having one wear out on me within 300 mi!
> That actually was the 3rd I had to put in within about a year.
> But as that's been more than a year now I'm not complaining.
>
> These are actually a double ball bearing, with one outer
> body and two inner rings with separate balls in between.
>
> Since these are ball bearings they cannot be adjusted like
> a cone bearing linke on LOTS of other cars.
> The only "SORT OF" adjustment is the compression of the two
> inner rings, but the width of those should be about the same
> as the space you'll have on the spindle, so it's practically
> none existent...
>
> If you DO want to tackle the bearings make sure the D-washer
> doesn't catch on the threads, else the bearing will have play
> in it from the start (been there, done that).
> What caused mine to wear out that rapidly turned out to be
> the top hat seal/spacer between the bearing and the knuckle,
> on the spindle. This had worn because of the initial bearing
> failure and left too much space for the bearing on the spindle.
> The D-washer would be up against the spindle and the bearing
> would still have some play...
>
> Fixed it with an extra washer/filler on the inside of
> the spacer and it's been Okay ever since (knock on wood)...
>
> JAN van de Wouw
>
> Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...
> Living the Dream...   Driving a DeLorean...
>
> #05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1595053/R=0/SIG=124gf29oe/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenat
togyo?YH=3707890&yhad=1595053> Click Here!

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1595053/rand=942982863>