  From: content22207 [mailto:brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
  Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2003 7:33 PM
  To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Subject: [DMCForum] Re: Out.

  Bypass ballast resistor for now (just run 12v to coil). It can be
  added back once engine is up. Ensure polarity is correct.

  Watch air sensor plate closely while starter motor turns engine. It
  must move down. If it doesn't, is either bound or engine is sucking
  air elsewhere.

  Disconnect spark advance. Until you're on Route 50 you won't need it.
  Could be potential problem (Martin G's reference to Darren B helping
  me dealt with an over-advance condition).

  Since you've no idea where fuel mixture screw is currently set, try this:
  1) crack throttle plates a reasonable amount with lower set screw
  (just like a carburetor!). This will be temporary idle once engine is up.
  2) remove idle speed motor for now. Cap take off under fuel
  distributor with a 3/4" vacuum plug. Add a 3/4" ball valve to cold
  start tube where idle speed motor used to be. Leave other end LOOSE
  (yes, a purposeful adjustable vacuum leak).
  If fuel mixture is unreasonably rich, this will let you slowly add
  unmetered air. Merely opening throttle plates won't help because over
  rich condition will increase correspondingly. Might work, might not.
  If engine does catch, you can back off mixture screw as ball valve is
  closed.

  If fuel mixture is too lean, pressing down air sensor plate manually
  (in MICRO amounts) will richen for whatever throttle plate position.

  BTW: when you mention pulling the plugs, are you actually removing
  them or simply disconnecting wires? Guarantee engine won't run with
  big spark plug hole.

  BBTW: you're not running the original coil are you? If so, give Rich
  the comfy chair (thought you might be able to use a little Python
  humor about now). A real coil is only $25. Ask Louie G what one did
  for him.

  Wouldn't it be nice if PRV ran without valve covers in place? Would
  let you watch valve train...

  If Darren B gets you running by phone, please post the results online.
  Am sure a lot of people have been watching this more closely than As
  the World Turns.

  BBBTW: #5335 is only allowed to leave your parking lot under its own
  power. Did not lay around on wet pavement in the dark for anyone
  else's benefit.

  Bill Robertson

  >--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
  > I believe that your guy can help. I certainly don't take it as an
  > insult. All I'm saying is that I'm at the end of -my- knowledge.
  >
  > I did not adjust the rocker clearances as I did not remove the cams.
  > I only removed the heads, checked for warpage, cleaned them up,
  > exhaust gaskets etc.
  >
  > If you think it's still worth checking, I'll get on it.
  >
  > For what it's worth, I tried to start it a little later and it damn
  > near caught. It was the strongest sputter I had yet. I just can't
  > tell what it wants. More gas, less gas, better spark or what.
  >
  > I've had trouble with that relay that reduces the ballast resistor by
  > half when you crank it. I have spark, but...
  >
  > Anyway, I'll take help where I can get it. Thanks.
  >
  > Rich
  >
  > --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <webmaster@xxxx>
  > wrote:
  > > Don't freak just yet. I've forwarded this mail to my PRV guy who
  > will be
  > > able to help, come hell or high water.  If all else fails, I'll
  > pass on
  > > his phoen number. Bill Robertson will back me up that he WILL be
  > able to
  > > help. He has already shown to us over here that there's a lot more
  > > this engine than what the DMC guys know (not to their detriment -
  > but my
  > > guy has the backup of years of experience on different PRVs)
  > >
  > > BTW did you check/adjust the rocker clearances?
  > >
  > > Martin
  > >
  > > cruznmd wrote:
  > >
  > > >That's right. I'm "out".
  > > >
  > > >Out of money, out of ideas and tricks, out of patience.
  > > >
  > > >I have replaced the starter, and all of the fuel components. I
  > have
  > > >spark on all 6 plugs, air and fuel. Too much or too little I don't
  > > >know because I have no idea where to set the CO screw.
  > > >
  > > >The wires are in the correct order. I have spark. I've used a
  > timing
  > > >light while cranking the engine and I'm at 13 degrees BTDC.
  > > >
  > > >The engine is so tight the new starter can barely move it when all
  > of
  > > >the spark plugs are in. Obviously that's not right, but I followed
  > > >the timing chain procedure in the manual and verified it with the
  > > >people at DMCH.
  > > >
  > > >It shrieks like a beaten wife when it cranks because the oil I put
  > in
  > > >the cylinders to lube it is washed away by gas.
  > > >
  > > >As far as I can tell, when I pull all the plugs and start putting
  > > >them in one by one, and cranking the engine with the addition of
  > each
  > > >plug, only 2 cylinders are making any kind of combustion. There
  > are
  > > >2 "thumps". As I add more plugs, there are no additional thumps,
  > and
  > > >the compression gets higher and higher as I add plugs and the
> [...]

click here