[DMCForum] Re: Here we go again...

Martin,

I'm sure we ALL look forward to your photos of the timing chain
procedure and I thank you for them in advance.

The more I think about it, the more certain I become that this may be
the problem. Why else would the engine be so hard to turn even with a
new starter and new hi-capacity battery? Harold McElcraft from the
DML also seems to think this likely. His explanation made sense to me.

The thing is, I must not be very far off. If I was, the valves would
have struck the pistons and I hand cranked the engine at least 4
complete revolutions to ensure that this wouldn't happen. Either that
or I'm nearer to 180 degrees off! That would suck.

Something else that's kicking my butt, is I don't understand the
terminology used in the book to describe the valve positions which is
essential to knowing if the timing is correct.

What does "on the rock" mean? What does "cylinder overlap position"
mean?

Thanks,

Rich

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <webmaster@xxxx>
wrote:
> It's worth adding that all I ever did was follow the manual,
however I
> was given the confidence by my PRV guy on the end of the phone at
all
> times - wouldn't have touched it without his encouragement.
>
> On the subject of manuals, we have two here - one a factory
original
> workshop manual, and one a "DeLorean Technical Manual" which is
complete
> crap in the timing chain section. I think it's based on the Volvo
manual
> and was produced by the DOA sometime back. Not sure, but if you're
using
> that manual, I pity you!!!
>
> Martin
>
> Martin Gutkowski wrote:
>
> >I will do better than that. I am putting the timing chains on
another
> >engine this morning (and that's before you get up, time-wise). I
will
> >take photos.
> >
> >Martin
> >
> >cruznmd wrote:

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3512152.4794593.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1595055/R=0/SIG=1247d4o3g/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenat
togyo?YH=3512152&yhad=1595055> Click Here!

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3512152.4794593.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1595055/rand=244537444>