Re: [DMCForum] Re: Out.

FWIW I've been doing a head gasket job today. Replacing both cylinder
heads with reconditioned ones. It has taken about 8 hours including
plenty of breaks (it is sunday, after all!) and the new heads are
already on. Timing chains next.

Martin

cruznmd wrote:

>Ok,
>
>Let me clarify the shrieking noise.
>
>1. When the engine ran before I changed the headgaskets, I had
>excellent oil pressure.
>2. I did not remove or tamper with the oil pump, or remove the cover.
>3. I work outside (like Bill Robertson). The engine was exposed, but
>covered. I kept the exposed parts clean but they were still exposed
>and things got dry.
>4. When I drained the oil pan to do the head gasket job, I got a ton
>of raw fuel due to faulty fuel components. The oil was washed away by
>fuel, the whole engine got kind of dried out so it squeaks.
>
>5. Taking some advice, I put a bit of oil in the sparkplug holes to
>pre-lube the engine. It works. The engine doesn't squeak or make ANY
>untoward noises. BUT, when enough unburned fuel enters the combustion
>chamber, is washes it away and the squeak returns.
>
>I need the engine to fire to suck up some oil from the sump and pump
>it to the top. You will not achieve normal oil pressure from the
>starter.
>
>I have a new Optima battery. The engine just seems tight from a
>combination of being really dry and having good compression from new
>head gaskets.
>
>Martin, because of something you said, I suspect my head gaskets were
>blown long before I bought my car because the bolts did have rust at
>the threads. I cleaned them up and inspected them. I would not have
>reused them if any appreciable loss of material was evident. I have
>the old gaskets and I'll take a photo of an area I consider suspect.
>I think you'll find it interesting.
>
>Rich

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1652964/R=0/SIG=11t2ts2ch/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=6