[DMCForum] Re: Overheating problem

Walt may be right about your water pump siezing but I have a
different theory to offer:

1st, -DON'T- overheat your engine, or you'll be doing a head gasket
job like I am now. I don't even know if I've done it right...

2nd, I've seen thermostats fail in the "shut" position. It seems to
me that your thermostat has failed shut. Coolant is not circulating.
It's just stuck in your block. That's why it's not blowing into the
coolant bottle.

It does seem odd to me that you'd have this problem with the belt
snapping and then your thermostat failing. They don't seem to be
connected. Walt's theory makes more sense, except that now your pump
seems to be rotating.

Perhaps what really happened was, the thermostat failed shut, and an
increase in pressure blew the hose off into the belt, it got caught
and shredded the belt.

One last thing that I've seen cause this, thought it may sound
strange, your radiator cap on the coolant bottle is supposed to vent
at a certain pressure. If it fails to do this, the coolant can't
overcome the pressure to flow into the bottle.

These are both -cheap- easy items to check. I hope this helps.

Rich

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> > No fluids are leaking, but there is no "spurting" of coolant into
the
> > overfill tank.
>
> This is a very significant symptom.  Even without the auto bleeder
kit there
> should still be a stream of coolant entering the header bottle
through the
> thinner hose.  It sounds like your water pump is not circulating any
> coolant.
>
> While you are replacing the pump then you might as well do cap,
rotor,
> plugs, wires, etc and order the whole kit for R&R of the intake
manifold.

> > I parked, and saw that the alternator belt had shredded,
> > and the hose from the overfill tank to the water pump had come
off.
> > I'm still not sure which happened first.
>
> My guess is that the belt shredded first because the pump seized.
What I
> don't get, though, is why it is turning free now.  Is it?
>
> > On the way home, it overheated, and the temp readings were
erratic.

> Erratic temperature readings can be from coolant not reaching the
sensor
> indicating that you are very low on coolant.
>
> Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.3512258.4794715.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1457554/R=0/SIG=11c6fnta2/*http://ipunda.com/clk/beibunmaisuiyui
wabei>