Re: [DMCForum] main pulley seal ...was: Uh Oh..

Re: [DMCForum] main pulley seal ...was: Uh Oh..

I have no experience messing with cylinder liners, so I would go by what
Martin says.  I have removed/replaced crank pulleys before.  The easiest
way
is using a big socket (35 or 36mm, I forget which) on an air impact
wrench.
The fascia & muffler have to come off to get access.  This works
quickly/abruptly enough that it doesn't crank the engine.  But since you
have the heads off, I would be leery of messing up the cylinder liners
like
you said.

If you have an automatic transmission then forget about trying to use it
hold the engine still.  A manual tranny in high gear will work but may
slip
like Martin said.  There is a tool that will grab the pulley kind of like
an
oil filter wrench.  If you can find one of these then you might be able to
hold the pulley and muscle the nut off with a socket wrench, but an
air-impact wrench is really the way to go.

The worst mistake you can make when taking the pulley off is allowing the
key to fall into the engine.  Before you remove the pulley, make sure that
they keyway is facing up so that gravity holds it on the shaft instead of
dropping it into the engine.  The keyway lines up with one of the timing
notches, but I don't remember which one.  Can anyone say?

While you are in there, common sense dictates that you replace the seal.
suppose that is why you are going there anyway.  These prematurely fail
because the hottest spot of the muffler is right next to the pulley
cooking
it.  If you have a hole in your heat shield, it will probably be in this
spot making matters worse.  The shaft on your pulley may be already scored
up from a bad seal.  Tough luck.  Replacements are hard to find.  If you
get
lucky and know a good machinist, they can turn it down and put a sleeve
over
it.  Only turning it down is also an option but makes the seal not fit as
tight afterwards.

Walt

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3179269.4495679.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12ongbbsq/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autore
dir?camp=556&lineid=3179269?=egroupweb&pos=HM>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=249982.3179269.4495679.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=585504460>