Re: [DMCForum] fuel tank stuff...

> 1 - On top of the tank sender, where the three wires connect, the entire
> area was covered in black silicone in a very sloppy manner and peeled
off
> very easily.  Was this factory?  I intend to put more sealant on to
protect
> the contacts unless there is a reason I shouldn't.

No, this was not factory.  It is possible that someone put the silicone on
there to stop a fuel leak either through the sender or around the gasket.
But RTV is a poor choice for this.

> 2 - The fuel pump has the plastic-like label wrapped around it still
intact,
> and looks new.  I remember someone stating it needs to be removed, so I
did.
> Is there anything about this pump that will tell me if it is original or
> not?

You did the right thing with removing the label.  If you leave it on there
then the fuel attacks it, and it eventually turns into more trash in the
tank clogging the filter.  The reason for the plastic is presumably to
protect it in applications where it is mounted outside of the fuel tank.
Is
the DeLorean the only car that mounts this pump inside the tank?

> 3 - The rubber lines inside the tank are showing signs of degradation so
> they will be replaced while I am in there.  Any suggestions on the best
> source for these?

I like PJ Grady's fuel suction hose best.  The DMC/Texas one is similar
but
I don't know if the materials are as good.  It is less expensive, though.
like PJ Grady's orange fuel lines that go outside the tank.  They are hard
to melt the fittings on properly until you learn the knack.  It took me
about a dozen tries until I could do it near perfect.  I heard that the
fuel
lines that DMC/Texas sells was a variety that you don't melt on like the
originals.  These used regular hose clamps which would be a lot easier to
install, but not the same as OEM.  I don't know if they are still using
this
type or if this type is better.

So far the fuel tank boots suck.  They are made of a material that will
start showing rot in a few years.  The boot covers are even worse.
Eventually fuel vapors will attack them and make them wrinkle up like a
raisin.

Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1595056/R=0/SIG=124fv1soh/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenat
togyo?YH=3313099&yhad=1595056> Click Here!

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1595056/rand=873316066>