Re: [DMCForum] fuel suction screen was... DOGGY RUNNING "D"

Re: [DMCForum] fuel suction screen was... DOGGY RUNNING "D"

> What is the model number or cross-reference for the Pep-Boys Fuel
Suction
> filter that you are using?

Scott,

I was mistaken.  It wasn't a PepBoys filter, but I did look at all the
ones
they had.  I also looked at all the NAPA ones too.  NAPA's model STS-5
looked like a good candidate, but seemed a bit small and too restrictive.
Later at the Memphis 2002 show, I saw that
both PJ Grady and John Hervey used the same STS-5.  PJ Grady's had an
aluminum adapter fitting turned on a lathe with an o-ring, and John
Hervey's
had a tube held in with gray (JB-Weld?) epoxy.  PJ Grady's is the better
deal because you can always reuse the fitting and snap on another STS-5
from
NAPA.  And if you don't like the STS-5, there are larger less restrictive
filters that will snap on to the PJ Grady fitting.

The suction screen I am using now is a NAPA STS-36.  What I did was cut
off
the end of the plastic fitting, and what was left fits perfectly into the
fuel suction hose like the original filter.  I later thought that part of
my
noisy fuel pump problem could have been from the suction collapsing the
filter, so I cut the end open (it was a bit too long to fit squarely in
the
baffle anyway) and put two small stainless steel springs in there I
recycled
from pump-style shampoo bottles.  I used a small brass rod and some
JB-Weld
to seal the end.  It seems like a lot of work, but I enjoy that sort of
tinkering.  I was relating this story to Tom, and he said that he did
exactly the same thing except instead of the JB-Weld he just melted the
end
closed with a flame.

The fitting that PJ Grady uses opens up some possibilities that I didn't
have when I choose the STS-36.  Or you could epoxy in a piece of tubing as
home made job ala John Hervey.  Whatever you choose, make sure it has some
sort of internal spacer to stop the inlet from sucking too hard on the
bottom of the tank.  Otherwise you might install a spring like I did.

Can anyone say if DMC/Texas is using this same reusable fitting as PJ
Grady
with the STS-5?

Walt

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3179269.4495679.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12ongbbsq/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autore
dir?camp=556&lineid=3179269?=egroupweb&pos=HM>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=249982.3179269.4495679.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=560710657>