Re: [DMCForum] a crappy running engine

> I am still learning the De Lorean, but on other cars I have messed with
> would say this is due to timing/ignition advance, or lack thereof.

This is my thought since I'm fairly sure that the fuel system is up to par
now.  I checked the timing while I revved the engine at various RPMs to
verify the mechanical advance.  I did this with the vacuum advance
disconnected.  Then I got a hand vacuum pump and gave the distributor
various vacuum levels and the timing all changed accordingly.  I talked
with
a mechanic today who explained that the nature of the spark jumping in the
distributor changes according to what is happening in the cylinder.  Under
no load the spark could be fine, but then under load the compression in
the
cylinder changes the way the spark jumps in the distributor if there is a
crack or carbon tracking.

> Imagine me giving you advice :-)...How about your Ignition coil? is
> it new. I know there are several different ones that John Hervey
> sells.

Don't even start the John Hervey bit with me. ;-)  I tried a different
ignition coil, and that didn't change anything.  I also tried a different
ignition wire from the coil to the distributor.  No difference there
either.
But it did look like the wire was breaking down with the way that dust was
collecting in certain spots like electrostatic charges building up where
ever a ground was close by.  Or is this just normal with plug wires?  It
is
with high voltage anodes on video monitors.  Another symptom I forgot to
mention is that this car has had a continual rattle in the dash in sync
with
engine RPMs.  At first I noticed it in the door-ajar buzzer (or
whatever-the-hell-it-is noise maker that everyone eventually unplugs).  I
unplugged it, but now my tachometer is making a similar noise.  I hooked
an
oscilloscope to the car's 12V and found a corresponding spike pattern that
changed with RPMs.  At first I thought it was a bad diode in John Hervey's
blessed pulley-mis-aligned 150 amp alternator, but changing it to an OEM
Motorola didn't change anything.  So I'm suspicious that I have a
secondary
ignition breakdown somewhere that is making the 12V noisy.

> Do you still get help from DMC joe? just wondering what he would
> suggest?

I suppose I should give him a call if new cap, rotor & wires don't fix it.
Too bad my credit card # and expiration date didn't change or he couldn't
have automatically renewed me in his fan club.  I should call and harass
him
to get my money's worth out of this membership.

And I really shouldn't be writing e-mails when I'm up late and buzzed on
beer. ;-)  Is there a way to hook up a breath-analyzer meter on my
computer
so that it won't send e-mails or let me bid on eBay items unless my blood
alcohol is under a certain limit?

Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1595054/R=0/SIG=124km4b11/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenat
togyo?YH=3313099&yhad=1595054> Click Here!

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1595054/rand=182492652>