[DMCForum] a crappy running engine

This is on a DeLorean that I affectionately refer to as my daily driver,
but
it usually turns out to be a few-days-a-month driver as I usually have it
apart.  I'm so tired of the lack of acceleration that I decided to do
something about it.  Y'all feel free to comment about what I'm doing right
or wrong.

The symptom is that the engine lacks pep on acceleration from a stop
light.
If I rev the engine while I'm waiting there (usually to keep the battery
voltage up because the a/c and fans are running) then when the light
changes
I put it in gear and go.... no problem.  But if I let it sit in neutral
for
10 seconds or more and then put it in gear the engine hesitates when I try
to accelerate.  If I accelerate gently then it hesitates until the engine
gets to around 1500 to 2000 RPM and then it suddenly comes alive and has
plenty of power.  But when I stomp on the pedal the engine backfires
through
the intake.  If the a/c is on, the problem is much worse.  But the problem
is still there even with the a/c off.  I don't think it is a vacuum leak.
The frequency valve is buzzing happily but isn't as loud as many cars I
have
heard.

The engine seems to be running lean (though I haven't checked it).  The
fuel
filter wasn't original but still way past being changed, so I put in a new
one.  I took the warm-up regulator off and found a bunch of particulate
crud
in the screen.  I cleaned that out, put it back together and the car still
ran like crap.

Next I took out the injectors and checked the spray pattern.  They were
all
close but 2 had a lopsided spray pattern.  I replaced all the injectors.
The new ones have a better pattern, but not all of them spray the same.
Most of them have an even spray pattern that isn't really a mist -- it is
more like fine needle sprays from a shower head.  These are new injectors.
Is this normal?  If I push the air plate really far then they all blow
quite
a torrent and good spray pattern, but at lower pressures is when the
pattern/volumes don't match.  One of the injectors dribbles at about 1
drop
per 5 seconds while the pump is running.  It doesn't do this when the pump
is off.  Is this normal?  The others dribble maybe one drop every few
minutes which is what the original ones were doing.  The primary pressure
is
5.1 bar and the control pressure is 3.1 bar which is in spec for the
temperature.  All of the injectors open at the same time except for #5
which
starts a little late.  It did this with the old injectors too, so I'm
wondering if this port may be clogged in the fuel distributor.  Could this
be my acceleration problem?

I pulled the spark plugs for the first time ever in this engine (yeah, the
cobbler's children have no shoes) and found that they were crappy Champion
brand plugs that were gapped at .043" instead of .024" to .028".  I put in
new Bosch ones from PJ Grady, and the engine runs much better but still
has
the acceleration problem.  Now it isn't quite as noticeable.  All the old
plugs looked alike -- clean bone white which indicates running lean.  The
plugs were Champion RS12YC.  Is this the proper heat range for a DeLorean?

Next I am going to pull the intake manifold off and replace the cap, rotor
and wires.  I checked the timing earlier and it was fine -- including
mechanical and vacuum advance.

Anyone have any suggestions?  I'm typing this as I'm waiting for the
engine
to cool off so I can take the intake off.

Walt

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1482387/R=0/SIG=16nhu573n/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLmRhd
=1055124261%3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705126215:HM
/A=1482387/R=1=1055124261%3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S
=1705126215:HM/A=1482387/R=2>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=544716712>