[DMCForum] DOGGY RUNNING "D"

Hi Guys,

This one has got me stumped, so I'm asking for any help.  Took my "D"
out for a spin yesterday and was running beautifully for about 30
miles.  Then it started developing a miss in the engine.  It
continued to get worse and after 5 more miles, I pulled over in a gas
station.  I topped off with fuel and it ran good for about 5 more
miles and then it went to shit.

I pulled into another station and at idle I could hear the fuel pump,
very loudily.  I had my tools with me and a spare fuel pump, so I
comenced to changing it on the spot.  After I got it changed, I took
it out for a test run and it did great,  for about 20 miles, then it
started missing again.

I then decided to head for the barn and reversed direction.  I
discovered that if I shut off the engine for 5-10 minutes, it would
drive good for about 5-6 miles and then start missing, very badily,
and lose power.

The closer I got to home, the less milage I could complete between
stops, until the final mile, and this took no less than 4 stops and
many weird stares from passerbys.

On arriving home, I noticed the fuel pump I had installed was making
a hell of a racket, just like the old one.

Only one other thing of note,  when I pulled the original pump, the
return line was rotted almost in two at the clamp connection.  I cut
off the bad part and reconnected it, although it was almost too short
and not in the best condition.

So, what do you guys think??  Do I have a fuel problem, pump problem,
line problem, or is it something totally different.  I don't
understand the exact purpose of the in-tank rubber return line, since
the gas is going to go back into the tank, whether it is connected or
not.

For history, I bought the car last fall and drove it from Indiana to
my home in Memphis, with no problems, except for running out of gas
within 10 miles of my house.  Till yesterday, it was limited to
drives around the neighborhood about once a week, while I worked on
all the cosmetic stuff.  It has 8000 miles on the odometer.

MIKE CLEMENS

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1564416/R=0/SIG=11ti81skc/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=6
0164797&partid=3170658>