[DMCForum] steering

Guys, I really enjoy this Forum, it's funny ;-)

Yesterday I got a copy of the dscription how to change the steering
bushing.
As my steering wheel is shaking sometimes, I was looking what the reason
could be.
The brake discs should be more or less ok and there's no gap in the
complete
steering system. Now I lifted up the car and pushed / pulled on the wheel
and I
could see that the steering rack is moving a little bit in those rubber
mounting assemblies.
I have never seen another car where the whole steering is mounted in such
large rubber parts. That's almost an invitation for the car to drive where
ever
it wants to. Especially when hard breaking it won't stay 100% straight.

Has somebody ever tried to mount the steering rack without those rubber
parts ?
Or at least with rubber parts smaller than 2 millimeters ?
This should help keeping the steering wheel quiet and the car going in the
direction I want him to.

Walt, wouldn't this be an interesting thing to test on one of your
restoration cars ?

I hope to get at least as many replys as on the french potatoe topic ;-)

6548 & Elvis

Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important
Questions.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/CNxFAA/HliolB/TM