Re: [DMCForum] angle drive lubrication

> I will be installing the new dust cap soon and wanted to lube
everything.
> I will remove the little screw and would slso like to lube the lower
cable.....

I think that the 90W gear oil is fine for the angle drive but a bit too
runny to stay on the cables.  I lubed my cables with white lithium grease
out of a tub container.  I used the end of my finger to keep pressing
grease
through the tube until it came out the other end.  Then when I pushed in
the
cable, most of it came out.  It was a bit wasteful maybe but very
effective.

Before this I bought a new lower cable from PJ Grady.  This is the new
short
version to replace the longer one on earlier VINs.  Rob said that the
shorter cable would be easier on the angle drive.  But on the contrary, I
found that the cable was much harder to turn by hand.  I used solvents to
wash all the stiff grease out of the tube and replaced it with the white
lithium.  It now turns as freely as my original cable.

Below is a cut & paste of an earlier message about lubing the angle drive.

> On the bottom i see
> a screw and thats it.

That IS it.  You take the screw out and inject your favorite oil in the
hole.  But you may run into problems.  First you need to disconnect the
lower speedo cable from the angle drive.  Then you rotate the angle drive
until the screw faces up.  But more often than not any angle drive that I
have tried to lube has the housing so stuck that it won't rotate.  Be
careful not to gouge/scrape it beyond recognition with pliers.  It helps
protect the speedo cable threads by using a ring from an old speedometer
cable to screw over it.  (Common junk yard item).  Then you have an
expendable surface that you can grab with pliers.  It helps to liberally
pre-soak in your favorite penetrant oil.

And then you might get lucky and the thing just rolls over and says, "oil
me".

My secret for getting oil in the screw hole is a broken off needle used to
put air in footballs/basket balls.  I jab the broken end into a tube of
90W
gear oil and then put the other end in the angle drive.  It helps to spin
the cable going in while you "stuff" it with oil.

I've heard of other methods like injecting with grease, white lithium,
motorcycle chain oil, etc.

Walt