Re: [DMCForum] torsion bar brackets

> Do
> anyone know what I should do?  Any procedures?

I'm in the middle of fixing a similar problem myself.  Someone didn't
fully
seat a passenger side torsion bar all the way into the hinge.  It suck out
about 1/8th an inch further than it should.  This allowed the hinge side
of
the bar to deform a bit (twist the square end).  It also caused the
retaining plate to seat too far forward (relative to the torsion bar
splines) which caused the spline end to twist into a slight spiral.  It
took
a lot of elbow grease to get the plate off while someone else was holding
tension on the bar.

Now that I have it apart, I can't get the plate to fit over the splines.
I'm going to use a small file to try to "straighten" the splines.  Wish me
luck.  To complicate matters, this car also had the torsion bars way
over-torqued to compensate for very weak struts.  I think this contributed
to the damage.

Hopefully your problem does not also include the above problem.  Your
problem was probably caused by someone putting the plate retaining bolts
back in without first lining the holes up (easy to screw up).  Or someone
had the plate riding on the side of the bolts rubbing the threads off and
then they reused these damaged bolts.

The way to get it off is to have someone hold tension on the bar while you
work on getting it apart.  Use a sharp screwdriver or wood chisel to pry
behind either the bolt or the retaining plate while you try to unscrew it.
Watch out for the back window.

Once you get it apart then you may need to repair the stripped threads in
the sub-panel.  Rob told me about a brand of "thread-sert" or whatever
where
you drill & tap the hole bigger and then screw in a sleeve/insert.  He
says
that he has used these on several cars with great success.  I asked him
where to buy it, and he told me to just search the internet for the brand.
So...  I dropped it.

On another DeLorean with damaged threads I just re-tapped the hole.  It
wasn't stripped but just cross-threaded.  I was careful not to torque the
bolt very much when I put it back in, and the plate has enough tension on
it
that I don't think it will go anywhere.

Walt

Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/i5gGAA/HliolB/TM