Re: [DMCForum] Re: Twin Turbo Kit on Ebay

Re: [DMCForum] Re: Twin Turbo Kit on Ebay

The answer is YES & NO!!!!  Oh, that it were so
simple.

In theory, the cooler the "compressed" air, the less
the need for timing retardation, since the chances of
pre-ignition are greatly reduced.  However, many
factors need to be considered.

I know of more than one D running totally stock
ignition and timing with 6 lbs. of boost and having no
problems.  But, with anything over 6 lbs. recurving
the distributor and/or retarding the timing is pretyy
much necessary.

So, get an intercooler and you're set, right?  Maybe
yes and maybe no.  There are some intercooled D's out
there  but not many.  Why,  to be effective the
intercooers need to receive a bunch of ambient air.
The rear engine configuratin of the D makes that
difficult unless some mods are done (Marc Levy's car
is an example of that).

Anything is possible.  Nothing however is free and
very little is really easy.  For example, intercoolers
reduce the boost.  And, HP is lost for each degree of
retardation.  To compensate, boost must be increased.

A couple of turbo'd D's are using water injection to
cool the charge air.  That's another approach.

Dick Ryan

--- thomaspaulmccoy <thomaspaulmccoy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I caught an episode of Horsepower TV... they were
> installing a
> supercharger on a new Ford truck.  At the end, the
> host said that
> spark/timing adjustments weren't necessary because
> they installed an
> intercooler.
>
> IF that is true then I presume the same could be
> done to the D?  Just
> cool the compressed air so that it won't detonate!
>

> > or you'll detonate that engine like a MOAB bomb in
> the few seconds
> of hard boost.

http://tax.yahoo.com

Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty
Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/HliolB/TM