[DMCForum] Re: Door lock parts WAS: door sizes...

[DMCForum] Re: Door lock parts WAS: door sizes...

Andrei,
You should talk to Walt and see if you can put up a little webpage
on the DMCFORUM explaining this stuff.  Otherwise its going to get
lost in the DMCFORUM archives

Erik

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> Andrei,
>
> I'm curious how you go about re-keying those locks.  I took a
jammed-up one
> apart and realized it was useless trying to put it back together.
What
> killed this lock was using a key copy that was just good enough to
work.
> This caused some of the wafers to stick out too far.  Over time
this scored
> the barrel making a mess of it.  Apparently what made it stick (so
a key
> wouldn't go back in) was from a wafer digging into one of the
grooves and
> getting stuck there.
>
> I think that this part of the lock is easily fixable by boring the
cylinder
> bigger and then pressing in a brass sleeve.  But then there is the
issue
> with keeping the cylinder together.  The pin is held in with tiny
teeth that
> break off because they are made of cheap pot metal.  How can this
be fixed?
> Drill some holes so a new longer pin can slide in?
>
> I spend too much time thinking about silly things like that.  :-)
>
> Walt

FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/i5gGAA/HliolB/TM