[DMCForum] Re: door sizes...

My vin is 4512.  I'm looking at putting a passenger door on my car
from vin 1697.  I'll take some pictures and measurements of my doors
and see if there is a difference.  I guess thats one way to tell if
its going to work or not :)

Erik

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> I have read/heard that there are 3 known versions of the doors.  I
don't
> remember where I got the information, so consider this as urban
legend.

> The first 500 cars (VIN 0500 to 1000) had longer doors front to
back.  After
> that they made them shorter to increase the clearance.  Other door
versions
> involved changes to the substructure.  I don't know if the key
hole size
> between the one-key system vs. two-key counts as one of the 3
versions.

> > They also snag on
> > the outer door seals.
>
> Yep, this has happened with my VIN 03633.  I couldn't really see
what was
> tearing the gasket until I closed the door with the headliner
off.  There is
> so little clearance between the inner door and the gasket that the
door
> grips it and then pulls it down sharply tearing it.  I think a good
> temporary fix would be to keep the gasket and stainless covered in
some
> o-ring lubricant.  Rob Grady explained to me a procedure for
removing some
> fiberglass to make more room, but I couldn't follow his directions
exactly
> over the phone.  I'm going to wait to hear it in person when he
can show me
> on a car before I go trimming fiberglass on my own.
>
> > I have seen another early car (#2292) where the
> > head of the rear striker had been cut off to allow the door to
shut
> > quietly.
>
> I have ground down the head of a striker pin before for the same
reason on a
> similar VIN car.  If the end of the pin pushes on the latch too
hard, then
> it has the same effect as slightly lengthening the latch's
connecting rods
> confusing the adjustment (which in this case made the latch jamb
in the
> 'locked' postion.)
>
> > The curve of teh roof section doesn't match the windscreen or
> > roof either.
>
> I have seen this to greater & lesser extent on several cars.  I
think that
> the variation I see has a little to do with the shape of the door
and a lot
> more to do with the adjustment of the panel above the windshield.
I'll find
> out for sure if I can ever find the time to experiment with the
adjustment.
> Having the T-panel too low on the front really exagerates the look.
>
> Walt

FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/i5gGAA/HliolB/TM