[DMCForum] Re: Road noise

> Anyone
> see a problem with me keeping Martys shocks and original springs on
> the back and putting gradys performance shocks and spring on the
> front?

I like the way PJ Grady shocks make the car handle (especially the on the
front), but NONE of them can be made to fit properly.  The issue is that
the
stem (shank?) is too long.  So when you try to tighten the nut on the top,
it runs out of thread before it even comes close to properly compressing
the
bushing.  The result is a loose fit.  This causes the top of the shock to
slop around on the frame chewing up the bushing in the process.  This adds
another clunk noise to each corner of the car and can't be safe in the
long
run.

Yet another issue that I haven't mentioned recently is that the bushing at
the bottom of the shocks (in the eyelets) is made from too soft a
material.
This isn't a problem on the front shocks, but the bottom of the rear
shocks
hold the weight of the car.  This stretches out the bushing a good bit
adding a rattle to the already squeaky shocks.

I like Rob.  He is a nice guy.  And everyone makes mistakes.  And he made
several with these shocks.  He should issue a recall, but I don't think he
will.  Most people don't drive their DeLoreans hard enough or often enough
to find the problems that I do.

As for PJ Grady's front springs, I like them and recommend them.  The main
issue that I don't like is that they need a hundred+ mile break-in period
before they settle to the final ride height.  Until then the front toe-in
adjustment will keep changing.  You will also need to re-aim the
headlights.
(When I first installed them the car was just as nose-high as with the OEM
springs.)

I think it is sufficient to only replace the front springs, but I'm
curious
to try either DMCH's or Marty's 4 spring kit just to see if there is a
difference.  Does anyone know if there is a difference other than price?
If
you want to lower the rear, this is easily accomplished with Marty's shock
collar design.  Rob's rear shocks also allow for some height adjustment
via
the placement of a snap ring.  And with a little use they have an
automatic
lowering feature by virtue of the bottom eyelet wearing out.  Nice!

Once you lower the car, get out of the habbit of pulling the front wheels
up
to the concrete wheel stops in parking spaces.  I have scraped the sway
bar
mounts a few times before I learned to remember.

Walt

Save Smiley. Help put Messenger back in the office.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4PqtEC/anyFAA/i5gGAA/HliolB/TM