[DMCForum] Re: Road noise

Thanks for all the info everyone!  I'll probably replace the wheel
bearings soon since I'll be doing suspension work soon as well.
check this out, turns out the parts car that I bought has the PJGrady
high performance suspension on it!  The impact didn't cause any
damage to the suspension at all, so i'll be putting those on my car.
I love my current shock setup (bought from Marty Maier) but I would
really like to ride on Gradys setup.  Once all that has been changed
I'll let you know if my road noise went away.

Thanks again,
Erik

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> > but only when I turn my wheels to the right.  Even
> > slightly, I get a humming sound.  When I turn my wheels to the
left,
> > no additional noise.  Any ideas?
>
> Yes!  I feel like a kid in the back of the class waving my hand
waiting to
> be called on. :-)  It sounds like you have a bad wheel bearing.
Adam
> Sullivan's DeLorean had more road noise than usual, and the
intensity of the
> noise varied as he turned the wheel.  Turning one direction would
silence
> it, and turning the other way would make it a little louder.  We
replaced
> the front wheel bearings and the noise went away.
>
> > the DeLorean is the only vehicle that has
> > steering so responsive that its uncomfortable (as you constantly
have
> > to wrestle the wheel to go straight).  That is why I only drive
my D
> > on weekends to the local car scene.
>
> As for squirrelly handling, this can also be caused by a bad wheel
bearing.
> It could also be due to wheel alignment.  When I first got my car,
it was a
> constant effort to keep it between the lines on interstate.  Then I
replaced
> the NCT's with Michelin Pilots, installed PJ Grady lowered front
springs,
> shocks, had Sears adjust the alignment.  The car handled completely
> different after that.  Smoother quieter ride, car stays in the
lane, etc.

> I have the same issue with the car wanting to find it's own way
through ruts
> in the road especially while braking.  Jim Sleeth's DeLorean did
the same
> thing on the same stretch of road, and he said, "What the hell?"  I
just
> laughed and said, "Yeah, my car does that too."
>
> > Am I on crack? Does anyone else have these problems?
>
> I assume you mean "on track"?
>
> > I've heard that balancing needed to
> > be done on the car.  Would that cause the problem?
>
> I doubt that an improperly balanced tire would be noisy.  If it
were then it
> probably would be shaking you all over the road.  I went to the
only place
> in town that I could find who would do on-the-car balancing and was
very
> disappointed with their procedure.  Look in the photo sections for
the pic
> titled "death wish".  He started with placing a small weight by the
valve
> stem, spun the tire, felt the vibration, then tried the weight on
the
> opposite side and kept going from there.  It did make an
improvement, and he
> only charged me for the two wheels that he added weights to.
>
> Walt

Save Smiley. Help put Messenger back in the office.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4PqtEC/anyFAA/i5gGAA/HliolB/TM