[DMCForum] Re: [DML] Fuel Pump Replacement

[DMCForum] Re: [DML] Fuel Pump Replacement

> To answer your question Nick is the stock fuel pump basically sucks.

Hi Ski,

I agree whole heartedly about the fuel pump situation.  My beef about it
is
that the coolant hoses heat the fuel too much causing cavitation in hot
weather.  I intend to make a new fuel tank out of stainless steel, and
while
I'm redesigning it, I want to eliminate the fuel pump boot as well as make
more room to insulate the coolant pipes.

Ken Koncelik (of DeLorean Car Show fame) is the guy responsible for making
the new fuel pickup hoses, boots & covers.  He is also responsible for 50+
other new DeLorean products sold by PJ Grady.  He makes the fuel pickup
hose
out of a kind of material that is extremely resistant to fuel.  DMC/Texas
went their own route and had some hoses made out of a cheaper material
that
won't last as long.  They are selling them cheaper (around $70ish bucks),
so
PJ Grady came down on their price for the better hose.  Anyway, Ken made
some fuel pump boots out of this better material, but quit because they
were
too expensive to make.  He says that the regular kind of material will
only
last 5 to 7 years MAXIMUM.  If you want to get more life from the boot
then
don't keep your fuel tank topped off where the bottom of the boot will be
soaking.

I could try to get one of Ken's better boots, but everything in and round
the fuel tank is bullshit.  So when I make the stainless steel tank I want
to find a way to mount the fuel pump to make a good seal and eliminate
this
weak spot.

When the right hand drive DeLoreans were produced, the plastic fuel tanks
were replaced with metal ones because some authority didn't trust the new
plastic to be as safe.  Well, as time has proven, the plastic tanks are
still as good as new and the metal ones have rusted out.  And there is a
another lesson to learn about the metal tanks: They mounted the same kind
of
fuel pump outside the tank with no adverse effects.  However, other makes
of
cars with similar Bosch fuel injection are careful to mount the fuel pump
as
low as possible.  These pumps are good at producing high pressure, but
they
do not draw a good vacuum (or should I say, they suck at sucking.)  Some
cars even use two pumps in series.  This makes me reluctant to want to
mount
the fuel pump above the tank.

Andrei Cular (a local friend of mine) mounted his fuel pump pretty high
and
hasn't had any problems that I have heard.  I haven't seen this setup yet,
but sure want to.  He might could give you some suggestions.

I'm not posting this to the DML because Dave Swingle & Knut Grimsrud
precariously like to delete posts without notice.  If you would like to
participate in uncensored real DeLorean discussions then check out the
DMCForum.  The main page is at www.DMCForum.org, (not much content yet)
and
the Yahoo discussion board can be found by clicking "Unmoderated
Discussion".  I hope you will want to join & participate.

Walt

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/HliolB/TM