Re: [DMCForum] WATER PUMP POLL

> Whenever I start fixing something that is not broken I inevitably break
it
or the part next to it gets jealous, wants attention and spontaneously
breaks :-).

Mike -- it sounds like you are well tuned into Dave Stragand's Zen of
DeLoreans.

Mark -- Depending on how the car was stored all these years, the water
pump
may be just fine or it could be about to go.  I put my daily driver into
service 3 years ago as a rolling restoration project.  I got it with 8600
miles and it now has around 23,000 miles.  The only thing I have done with
the cooling system is flush it out, replace the header bottle (the old
plastic one looked fine) and tighten every hose clamp that I could reach.
And there were leaks at every single hose clamp! -- and still are at the
waterpump & y-pipe where I can't reach them.

I am long over due for a major tune up and to replace all the coolant
hoses.
I might replace the water pump at the same time, but I'm undecided.  From
what I can see, the aluminum coolant pipes are spotlessly clean inside.
But
when I removed the drain plugs from the engine block, one of them had a
wall
of dry silt behind it.  It looked like part of the block.  I wondered if I
even removed the right plug.  So I jabbed a screwdriver in there and took
an
unexpected bath in coolant.  I don't believe that the system ever had any
stop leak put in.

My suggestion on how you proceed is to take into consideration the car's
past behavior.  A unique thing about DeLorean behavior is that if you love
them then not too much will go wrong at the same time.  You could have a
pile of repairs planned to do to the car, but the next major part failure
generally won't occur until the car feels that you are ready for it.  Does
this sound too ridiculous?  Well I tell you that the whole of reality
sounds
ridiculous!  What is it and what makes it work?

Walt