Re: [DMCForum] DASH REMOVAL QUESTION

> Question---when you first turn on your ignition switch, to run,
> should all your warning lights on the right side of the instrument
> cluster (lambda, oil press, battery, low fuel, and brake) light up??

No.  The only ones that come on this way is the oil light and the battery
light.  Some other makes of cars turn on the lights as a diagnostic, but
not
the DeLorean.  Lucas = Prince of Darkness.

> Second---when I turn my blower on, in any position (a/c, heat, vent,
> and defrost) the fan works, but no air is coming out anywhere.

Unless you have a rat's nest or some other unusual clog in the system, the
air should be coming out somewhere.  Check the floor vents (under the dash
&
above the hump).  Also check the door vents.

First some stupid/simple answers... I hope this doesn't offend you:

Check to make sure that the vents are open.  Each vent has a little
thumb-wheel dial next to it that opens/closes.

Be aware that the a/c's vent doors are vacuum actuated.  They will not
operate unless the engine is running to produce the vacuum.

If all these are fine then while the engine is running, listen for any
hissing noises coming from the dash & console.  The source of any such
hissing is a vacuum leak that should be fixed.

The next thing to do is turn the mode switch to various positions and
listen
for the flap doors to move.  It helps to turn the blower off to hear them.
You should hear some thunking in the dash a second or so after moving the
mode switch through various positions.

Shine a light into the dash vents.  If they are closed then you will see a
yellow wall of foam blocking the vents.  This is a flapper door that needs
vacuum to open.  It should be open for MAX, NORM, VENT and closed for OFF,
HEAT & DEFROST.  I worked on a guy's DeLorean recently where the plastic
arm
on this actuator was broke.

> If I
> need to pull the dash for this, does anyone have any hints to how to
> proceed and expecially what not to do!!

You problem is probably one of the following:
1) kinked or disconnected vacuum line going to the mode switch.
2) leaky dried out mode switch that needs to be taken apart, cleaned &
re-lubed with o-ring grease.  If the tits on the back of the diaphragm are
broke then replacement diphragms are available through PJ Grady.
3) Broken actuator arm to dash vents.

Depending on how good you are at reaching into tight spaces and how well
you
know the internals of the dash, it is possible to remove & replace the
mode
switch without removing anything but the knobs & face plate.

My hands are big enough that I have to get in there the hard way.  I
remove
the center console to make room to reach around the side.

Walt