[DMCForum] Vavle Adjustment - UPDATE

Well, I have completed my valve adjustment and I am thrilled with the
result.
It was easy, eliminated nearly 75% of the noise associated with my
engine and I actually believe the car runs smoother.

I have this advice to anyone that may consider adjusting their valve
lash:

1) Make certain it needs to be done - The "ticking" is obvious, and
you can verify it is coming from your rocker arms by using a piece of
tube and placing it against the valve covers while listening to the
running engine - like a stethescope.

2) Have two, new, valve cover gaskets ready to replace when you
reattach your covers.

3) While the Shop Manual is a great tool - don't follow the
instructions for this procedure; they make it far more complicated
than it needs to be.

4) Do this adjustment with the engine COLD.

Here's how I did it. I know this may sound crazy, perhaps there are
better ways - but it worked for me, and I'd enjoy hearing advice on
how to improve this:

I took a compression gauge and measured the compression at each
cylinder, wrote each value down. Since I was already removing the
spark plugs - I left them ALL OUT.

I removed the valve cover on one side of the engine and noted the
position of each rocker arm on the cam shaft. One by one I looked for
the rocker arm that was on the complete OPPOSITE side of the lobe.
using feeler guages (for the measurements specified in the shop
manual) I adjusted the clearance, just to the point where the feeler
had light resistance when slid through.

I then pushed the car by hand, while in 1st gear. With the plugs
removed, it's easy to do - and it rotates the engine to position the
rocker arms for adjustment.

(You really only end up pushing the car a few inches.) For me, it was
the easiest way. Just apply the parking brake when you're in the
position you want. Repeat this step for each adjustment, adjusting
only the arms that are on the complete OPPOSITE side of the cam lobe.
(Low side)

For Cylinders 4,5 and 6 (driver's side), if you are carefull...you
can unbolt both the compressor and the CPR (warm-up regulator) then
swing them up and out of your way - without having to remove a single
hose (or deplete your freon from the A/C!).

Do not be tempted to over adjust the rocker arms. Remember that metal
expands when hot, the clearance is there to allow for expansion when
the engine is at operating temperature.

When you're done with the adjustments, replace the covers and new
gaskets. Perform a compression check on each cylinder again, compare
the readings with your first readings. They should be NO LESS THAN
what they were before. If any cylinder is considerably less, you most
likely overadjusted the vavles for that cylinder, and one valve is
not closing completely.

The compression check, I used as my sanity check. You can for-go this
if you like, but it helped convince me that I did not do more harm
than good!

I tried to take pictures as I went, but I could only get a few. I
have posted them under the Forum's PHOTOS section. On a scale of 1 to
10 (of things I have done to my D) I would have to rate this a 3 or 4
for level of difficulty.

I hope this helps someone, and thank everyone that answered my
post...for their advice.

Eric
Dunedin, FL
VIN 5557