From: Jim Strickland [mailto:ihaveanaccount@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 9:17 PM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DMCForum] Crash tests

I think that the idea, originally, for the car was to be a safe vehicle.

Somewhere along the line I understand it was called the "Delorean Safety
vehicle".  This is why the window sill is (relatively) so high, which
affected the drop window sizing (so small!).  I assume that they moved
the horn to the steering column to not interfere with the airbag.

I actually know the first thing about airbags; they're a pain the A!
Replacing one is easy, installing one is not.  There are sensors that
need to be placed in the car (so that the bags go off when they should,
and not when they should not), plus the timing on the airbag has to be
correct so that it doesn't open too early or too late.  If the timing is
off, it can cause more damage than it will alleviate.  Also, the
steering
column does not allow for an airbag- I assume the crash test vehicle had
a different one.

I do not believe anyone sells air bag kits for vehicles that were not
originally designed and certified for one.  The liability alone would be
astronomical.

I would be interested in seeing the test- where did you find it?

Jim

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002 23:16:48 -0700 "Jim" <starbuck@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> 	I was watching a video I have of the Delorean crash tests
> and in
> the video they are using air bag restraints. Was the car original
> planned to have air bags? And are there kits on the market today
> that we
> could install in our cars?
>
> Jim

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to