Re: [DMCForum] Weird Auto Box Question (definitely not the Governor C

Re: [DMCForum] Weird Auto Box Question (definitely not the Governor Computer)

James,

Just how custom is your new CG?  The OEM housing has a microswitch in it
that electronically detects the position of the shifter.  I have heard
that
the signal running through this switch is a low voltage and is subject to
dirty contacts and possibly picking up noise.

Another possibility is that you might need to adjust the shifter linkage
controlling the switch.  As the linkage gets hot, then the dimensions
change
and get out of tolerance.  That cross-over exhaust pipe over the tranny
really heats things up.

I've done some reading on the matter and learned that the old DeLorean
design is unsafe because there is nothing to stop the transmission from
downshifting while cornering as obviously this can cause the rear wheels
loose their grip.  Newer designs (such as in the Porsche Tiptronic) detect
lateral acceleration to stop downshifting while cornering.  When Bob
Brandys
put a Porsche 4-speed auto tranny in one of his D's, he used an
aftermarket
computer that uses this technology.  The stock Porsche configuration uses
positive ground which makes wiring into the DeLorean a little complicated.
There are a lot of technical issues involved such as you need a way to
reduce horsepower (like retard the spark) so that shifting isn't so hard.
If you came up with a custom computer that addresses these issues, I'm all
ears.  :-)

Walt

Sell a Home for Top $
http://us.click.yahoo.com/RrPZMC/jTmEAA/MVfIAA/HliolB/TM