[DMCForum] save your torsion bars

I did a door adjustment for a new owner yesterday and noticed again a
common
problem with torsion bars that all DeLorean owners should look into.  The
problem is that on many cars the torsion bar will rub on the rear hinge.
Over time, this will score the bar and cause it to break.

This is easy to check.  Open the door and flex the torsion bar with your
finger.  See if there is any clearance between it and the hinge.  If there
isn't, then as a temporary measure wedge a thin piece of something in this
gap to stop the bar from getting scratched up.  Use a thin piece of
rubber,
vinyl or teflon.  In the case of the car that I worked on yesterday, for
lack of anything better I used a piece of a plastic coffee can lid.

What causes this clearance problem is a metal bracket under the t-panel
comes unglued and starts to fold in the center.  This brings both driver &
passenger torsion bars closer to the center of the car and closer to the
door hinges where they score & break.  The permanent fix involves taking
everything apart and adding screws to hold the bracket down.

As you may already know, NOS torsion bars are no longer available from the
vendors.  The last one for sale that I heard about was being offered at
the
Memphis show for $2000.  If yours breaks, the car will not be much fun to
drive.  The doors are VERY heavy, and it is easy to damage the door panel
by
pushing on it hard enough to get the door open -- if it doesn't slam shut
on
you.  Your other alternative is to crawl across the center console, and
the
foot traffic isn't good for it.

Walt

Sell a Home with Ease!