Re: [DMCForum] Explaining HP to Jim Strickland for the Last Time (Hopefu

Re: [DMCForum] Explaining HP to Jim Strickland for the Last Time (Hopefully)

> Andrei's Porsche, bless it's little German heart, has very little
> power in the RPM range where loads are hauled. With 5,000 lbs coupled
> to it, I don't know if he could even let the clutch out without
> stalling. I absolutely guarantee he couldn't reach his power band
> pulling such a load over a mountain.
>
> Andrei's Porsche has power, don't get me wrong, but only after he's
> rev'ed it very high. Until then, he has very little power.

Bill you are probably right 5,000lb would probably be a bit much for my car,
the factory has it rated to tow only 3,500lb.  Except in Italy with would
only approve it for 2800lb

As far as powerband you really need to see the charts out of the owners
manual, but I don't have them in the car.  So take a look at
http://www.speedforceracing.com/dyno/24.jpg  which is a supercharged '86 944
and you will notice that the torque jumps to about 130lb at only 2500rpm and
reaches a max of about 170lb 2000rpm later at about 4500.  The curve is a
little different for my car but it still jumps very close to max torque very
quickly.

Then you can take a look at what happens when they bolt on a turbo and a few
other external mods.  http://www.speedforceracing.com/dyno/timdyno.jpg

Andrei