Re: [DML] New door struts - anyone interested?

Re: [DML] New door struts - anyone interested?

Rod and everyone else interested in the new door gas struts,

I have forwarded your question to the manufacturer and here’s their answer:

We do not recommend storing the gas struts for any extended periods of time. Maximum recommended storage time is 6 months. During this time the piston should be moved through it’s entire travel at least once per month to keep the internal parts lubricated. There should be no loss in pressure during this time.
Gas struts can be stored in a cool and dry place. Extreme temperatures should be avoided (I guess I was wrong when saying cold should extend it’s life)
Position of the strut has no effect on it’s longevity as long as it is cycled every once in a while.
Every gas strut is guaranteed for 30,000 cycles and two years. This is a normal expected life span and at that time the strut is considered to have reached it’s end-of-life and should be replaced. YMMV, but this is the normal life cycle.
Horizontal rest position has no effect on the longevity of the gas strut. Every time the strut is used all internal components get lubricated. It is thus recommended the struts are used even when stored.
A special double seal can be ordered but total stroke will be shortened. I can try and design a new strut with double the seals to make them last longer. Keep in mind that the door will not go up all the way. I don’t know by how much though. I’ll find out some more details when I receive the first test set.

There was another question from someone interested in the stainless struts about having them clear coated to prevent fingerprints. The answer to that question is:
We can apply clear powder coating to stainless gas struts for a small fee. The total cost depends on the number of struts ordered and will be calculated at the time of order.

I hope this answers your questions. If there’s anything else you’d like to ask please feel free to do so. I recommend posting all questions to the list/forum so everyone sees my replies.

Thank you

Greetings from Poland!
Tom Niemczewski
Vin 6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 16473, 17086