[DML] Driving DMC on salted roads - trailing arm bolts

[DML] Driving DMC on salted roads - trailing arm bolts

If one insists on driving on salty roads (seaside drivers may also
experience this), and maybe everyone should do this, I highly recommend
lubing the trailing arm bolts.

The PO drove my car on MN winter roads.  As such I had frame damage
which has been repaired.  One of the problem areas was the trailing arm
bolt which was frozen to the trailing arm.  Since the bolt goes through
the frame then through the arm where it is bolted, I had to cut it off.
I could get the nut off the bolt but the trailing arm would not come off
the bolt.  Once off I tried a variety of ways to get the remaining bolt
out of the trailing arm but no luck.  I bought new trailing arms.

As such, it seems good practice to:
- periodically check that the trailing arm bolt is not rusting to the
trailing arm.  You should be able to rotate the bolt in the frame and
trailing arm.  Re-torque after testing.
- apply  grease to the bolts and tube

As indicated, this is a MUST for anyone driving in salty weather. It may
also be good practice for the rest of us.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)